DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Diet (Kibble only) Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Loki Love
takes it one day at a time.
Live Love Bark

Loki became a Champion :
Question Eating snow = diarrhea?

I can't wait for winter to be over. Seriously. We've been having a heck of a time trying to get Loki's poops on track and just when we thought we were getting closer, it snowed and Loki became a snow addict. We try to limit how much snow he takes in, but seriously - his face is to the ground, mouth open and just shoveling it all in!

So now I don't know if the food we have him on still isn't working well for his tummy OR if my snow eating machine of a dog is giving himself a harder time because he loves snow so much.

He's currently on Acana Grasslands. We have also tried Orijen Adult & 6Fish and Taste of the Wild HP & PS in the past (having not done real well on any of them). How long do I wait before changing up his food yet again? OR do I chalk this up as snow related and wait it out until spring? For the love of God, I just want good poops!

I don't know if this is the best forum to post this - it's kind of general health related, but still kibble.

3 Latest Threads by Loki Love
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Loki visits Hilton Head, SC Member's Dane Pictures StephanieFolker 13 14 03-28-2014 01:46 PM
You really CFS Miscellaneous Forum Sparrow 9 476 01-15-2014 03:00 AM
NDR - A Dog's Life Miscellaneous Forum Loki Love 0 72 12-06-2013 12:41 PM

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Jacobsmom
Has no status.

My Mood: Happy

snow is water....i wouldnt think snow would cause runny but thats just my thoughts. Harley and my other 2 eat it too and dont have any issues. Have you tried probiotics or yogurt?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Loki Love
Live Love Bark

Threadstarter

Loki became a Champion :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsmom View Post
snow is water....i wouldnt think snow would cause runny but thats just my thoughts. Harley and my other 2 eat it too and dont have any issues. Have you tried probiotics or yogurt?
I did try yogurt - we even switched him off all kibble completely and did the whole bland chicken and ground beef with rice thing. That actually nearly stopped his poops altogether - FAIL. When we introduced the kibble back (keeping it mixed with some cooked ground beef), the first couple of days were great! I was so excited and relieved... and then it snowed. And since then, we're back to watery, garbage poops. Grrrr. So I can't figure out if it's just coincidence...or it's really the snow.

I agree that snow is just water and Loki certainly isn't drinking as much from his water bowl inside, but I was thinking the composition is different so it may be mucking up his tummy somehow.

Do you think I should just give 1-2 Tbsp of yogurt with each meal? Maybe that would help?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Jacobsmom
Has no status.

yogurt never hurts, have you tried plain pumpkin? That works pretty good too and the dogs love it.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Meatos
says: Bark if you're RABID!
Teaser Bitch
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Amused
+++ My dogs +++

Scarlett can get crazy upset stomachs after eating the snow, but I think it's more to do with the sidewalk salt that gets wrapped up in the chunks of ice she likes to grab as we're walking. It's gross.

But it's not ALL the time that her stomach is upset. Are you able to pinpoint a correlation between eating snow and the upset stomach?

I've also noticed that Scarlett doesn't really like pooping in the snow, so she sometimes tries to hold it in longer. This results in loose stools when she finally does decide to go. Maybe your dog is experiencing sort of the same thing?

Yogurt is a good idea, maybe some tripe. But if you're not sure if it's the food, might be a good idea to feed only the kibble until you know for sure that the cause is not food related.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Jacobsmom
Has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
Scarlett can get crazy upset stomachs after eating the snow, but I think it's more to do with the sidewalk salt that gets wrapped up in the chunks of ice she likes to grab as we're walking. It's gross.

But it's not ALL the time that her stomach is upset. Are you able to pinpoint a correlation between eating snow and the upset stomach?

I've also noticed that Scarlett doesn't really like pooping in the snow, so she sometimes tries to hold it in longer. This results in loose stools when she finally does decide to go. Maybe your dog is experiencing sort of the same thing?

Yogurt is a good idea, maybe some tripe. But if you're not sure if it's the food, might be a good idea to feed only the kibble until you know for sure that the cause is not food related.
kinda off topic...about the not poopin in the snow...Harley does that too. I dont understand why...anyone know?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Loki Love
Live Love Bark

Threadstarter

Loki became a Champion :

Quote:
yogurt never hurts, have you tried plain pumpkin? That works pretty good too and the dogs love it.
We've used pumpkin in the past. I guess I just want to find a food that works for him, rather than having to rely on pumpkin and such to help balance things out. I don't mind in the interim, but finding something that just works on its own is the ideal plan.

I don't even really know what a reasonable amount of time one should try a food before giving up on it. Some people have results on different kibble within 24 hours - I should only be so lucky one day.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Meatos
says: Bark if you're RABID!
Teaser Bitch
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Amused
+++ My dogs +++

Quote:
kinda off topic...about the not poopin in the snow...Harley does that too. I dont understand why...anyone know?
I dunno...I think it's just the cold? When they poop, they have to stand in one spot and bear down. Might be colder for the dog's paws and body than just running around and squatting quickly when they need to. Funny that this behaviour doesn't affect peeing - maybe because peeing has a greater sense of urgency than pooping?

We have hardly any snow on the ground...literally just a dusting, and even though Scarlett loves the snow, I find that her poop schedule is out of whack. Weirdo.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Loki Love
Live Love Bark

Threadstarter

Loki became a Champion :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post

We don't let him touch the snow outside the backyard - as you mentioned, salt and dirt and such worries us (and he'd probably just implode at that point given what fresh snow seems to do!)

We have had to shovel paths in the backyard for Loki to go out there and poop. He's a spoiled little boy

I'd love to try just doing kibble - but he's fussy, so we've always had to add a little something to entice him. We're adding plain cooked hamburger right now - just a small bit.

AND - he just went outside to pee and do you think I can get him to come back inside afterward? Oh no - face to the ground, bury his head in that snow - looking at me as I call him, 'But Mommy - the snow is out here, not inside!'
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Jacobsmom
Has no status.

the last snow we had Harley found the only spot with no snow and went there lol. Back to the topic, Harley did good on Chicken Soup, Innova, and now i think its Natures Balance potato and duck. He LOVES the potato and duck. Nice firm stools on all 3. Maybe its some sort of allergy or something. The potato and duck is supposed to be a good food for dogs with allergies.