DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Health And Welfare Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
TedsMomSteph
Has no status.

My Mood: Breezy
Default Sores on Paws (picture)

For the past 3 days Ted has had horrible sores on his front paws. His whole paw is red (which is not abnormal for him) but now it looks like scabbed over blisters or something. He was doing this thing where he'd run and then slide paws first across the floor, so we are kind of wondering if it's rug burn? We are making sure he's not licking at them and they are looking better, but I still wonder if anyone else has seen this? Sorry for the poor quality cell phone picture.

3 Latest Threads by TedsMomSteph
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Papasan cushion for dog bed? Miscellaneous Forum Jazzandcompany 12 2109 11-09-2010 08:20 AM
Ear Problems Ear Cropping, Taping And Cleaning Forum maggiemay98 9 1085 10-07-2010 07:12 PM
NDR -Frustration w/ walking my Lab Health And Welfare Forum Rootlis 2 328 09-23-2010 08:50 AM

Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Purple Raine
Is feeling better than she has in a long time.

My Mood: Buzzed

Is it only on his Paws??? If so I'd say it's either rug burn or some kind of contact allergy to carpet powder/cleaner maybe???
Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Carolyn
loves DOL!
Ch Eve...2yrs old
2013 GDCA Breeder OF The Year

Its hard to tell from the picture, but from what you say he is doing, Im betting it is rug burns.........that or walking on very hot black top.
Dont let him do that anymore and see if it clears up.
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolyn For This Useful Post:
lexie.gagnon (09-14-2013)
Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Lacey
is loving my little Andross.
Executive Member

You say now that you guys are making sure he is not licking them they are getting better. Is he ever stressed? My saint was boarded for a week and he licked his paws because of stress and they looked similar to what your pup has. The vet had to give bernie a chill pill to make him stop. But as soon as he left he didn't do it anymore.

Does your pup have a hard time when you leave?

I would check into the carpet and cleaner suggestion too.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
michellers
is glad she put together the 54" crate inside the room it's going to stay in.

Lola's age
My Mood: Happy
+++ My dogs +++

Sorry to see sores on his paws. I hope they clear up soon. Lola hasn't had issues in that area of her paws, but tends to wear off her paw pads depending on the texture of ground she is zooming on. Right now they are a nice green color from doing Nascar circles and crazy-8s in the backyard (so much there is a clear "track" now).

Off topic, but he's so handsome in your sig pic!
2 Chinchillas: Keeta and Max
3 Cats: Otis, Oscar, and Murray
1 Husband
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
nikiwantsadane
Has no status.

has he been tested for allergies? dogs can get red paws due to allergies. has he been around anything unusual for him lately? like a new rug, new carpet, new dog shampoo, etc?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
TedsMomSteph
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Update: The sores got a little better, and he wasn't chewing them hardly at all, but my husband walked him today and he could tell they were obviously bothering him. He hasn't been exposed to anything new (carpet, cleaner, floor, fertilizer..nothing). We are taking him to the vet on Friday for his yearly shots, so hopefully they can help. Poor dude, he acts so pathetic when he's not feeling well.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Britedane
Has no status.

My Mood: Innocent

Stephanie I have a similar situation happening with my dane Sadie like you said no enviromental changes have been made but she's licked spots raw around her paws since I've been working fulltime this summer... I think it's out of boredom in her crate because when she's exhausted before I crate her up they get better presumably because she is asleep most of that time so that's what I've been doing lately and it has been helping her sores get better.

I can't wait till school starts again when I'll be able to excercise her even more and she won't be crated but 2-3 hours a day instead of eight straight!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 AM
will
- there goes another cushion!

My Mood: Amazed

Those aren't rug burns, he's licking his paws. You didn't mention food? Any new treats or food recently? My boy has horrific food allergies and took me over a year to get it all figured out. That pic is no where near horrible, either. My boy would be blessed if his paws looked that good

Anyway, seems like food or contact allergic reaction. Just posting so you know someone else has paws exactly like that, but usually worse. But, the types of sores, redness in your picture are exactly what is caused by licking...

And, I've tried every product known to man to get them to stop licking areas that are open sores already, etc. Nothing works out there except tea tree oil. One tiny drop on the area once a day and he'll go no where near his foot until you stop putting the tea tree oil on.

good luck.

Chaos and Chloe - My two little beasts
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 AM
TedsMomSteph
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Those aren't rug burns, he's licking his paws. You didn't mention food? Any new treats or food recently? My boy has horrific food allergies and took me over a year to get it all figured out. That pic is no where near horrible, either. My boy would be blessed if his paws looked that good

Anyway, seems like food or contact allergic reaction. Just posting so you know someone else has paws exactly like that, but usually worse. But, the types of sores, redness in your picture are exactly what is caused by licking...

And, I've tried every product known to man to get them to stop licking areas that are open sores already, etc. Nothing works out there except tea tree oil. One tiny drop on the area once a day and he'll go no where near his foot until you stop putting the tea tree oil on.

good luck.
Thanks, I think it might be from licking too, after keeping an eye on him. They are much, much better now, but still definitely red. No new treats either. My guess it's just being outside in the grass more. The bugs are seeming to really bother him when he's out there. Will keep tree tea oil in mind...