DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
sdtaco
Has no status.

Default Allergic reaction to our Dane, Human Allergies

We recently got a puppy "Kona" a little over a month ago. While we didn't experience any allergies from him up until a couple weeks ago my wife has just started to show signs of being allergic to him now.

When playing with the dog she shows signs of bumps and red areas on her arm or neck that are itchy. These bumps almost look like bites or scratches where the skin is inflamed. We have started giving Kona baths once a week but this still happens.

Does something change in the puppies coat chemistry when growing up? He could be playing in the yard and bringing in something.

Anyone else been through this? How did you go about facing this battle?
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by sdtaco
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Skin bumps hives lumps rash Health And Welfare Forum DextersMomma 8 2669 02-12-2011 08:41 AM
Quick Reply? Website Feedback Forum dolmod 6 683 10-14-2010 04:32 PM
More Kona Kai pics! Hes such a good boy... Member's Dane Pictures WeLoveOur7Dogs 7 625 10-14-2010 04:17 PM

Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
geus412
Oh, the life with a dane... doesnt get muchbetter!!

My Mood: Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtaco View Post
We recently got a puppy "Kona" a little over a month ago. While we didn't experience any allergies from him up until a couple weeks ago my wife has just started to show signs of being allergic to him now.

When playing with the dog she shows signs of bumps and red areas on her arm or neck that are itchy. These bumps almost look like bites or scratches where the skin is inflamed. We have started giving Kona baths once a week but this still happens.

Does something change in the puppies coat chemistry when growing up? He could be playing in the yard and bringing in something.

Anyone else been through this? How did you go about facing this battle?
My hubby has been sneezing lately when around the dog.. and if I pet him.. on some days, i get these red bumps and I itch where I have touched him. its there for a few minutes and it goes away. Im dealing with it.. i love my dog WAY to much... haha.. i mean im not having breathing troubles! I hope you get some answers on here... maybe a daily antihistamine... zyrtec, clartin... it might help her
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Donielle
Has no status.
Duke's Mom

I have similar problems. I know I am allergic to dogs but I have one anyway. I have seen an allergist and I am getting weekly allergy shots. I have learned that the slobber will cause reactions. I get the red bumps on my arms where he has drooled/slobbered. It does itch, but it goes away. I have not had my shots long enough yet for me to see any results yet. Duke lives inside and sleeps with me. I take benedryl sometimes at night if I feel like I am having allergic reactions from him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 11:45 AM
mistified247
has nothing else to say!
Executive Member
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Innocent

Yes!! And the best I have found for it is to wash the area with soap & water and then put on a little cortizone cream. The red itchy little bumps will go away but I doubt that it will ever stop. You just learn to live with it. Keep the floors & furniture dander free (hair free) & make your bedroom your space(if this is causing any breathing issues).

Roxy & Ace
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to mistified247 For This Useful Post:
danemommd (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
JacksMommy82
is gonna be a mommy!

My Mood: Cheeky
Send a message via AIM to JacksMommy82

My sister inlaw is allergic to dogs and cats, but theres a special shampoo that my vet gave me the recipe for. They use is and shes completely fine. Its made of regular Dawn dishsoap, betadine, and bleach(yes I know, but its what vets use at alot of clinics)....I can get the recipe specifics if you need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
reynosa_k9's
Has no status.

My Mood: Cheeky
+++ My dogs +++

I couldn't even imagine being allergic to dogs!

Just know that it may not always be the dog one is allergic to. If the dog plays outside in the grass, or as mine, run through the weeds on open range, they could have something on their fur that is causing a reaction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Corinne44
Has no status.

I'm allergic to dogs, but have always had dogs. I take allergy meds.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
danemommd
is held hostage by her dogs

My Mood: Happy

[QUOTE=mistified247;610583]Keep the floors & furniture dander free (hair free) & make your bedroom your space... QUOTE]

Zyrtec/claritin... these will probably help. Mistified247 is right about keeping the dog out of your bedroom (also, off your sofa and places you lounge)..... showering before you go to bed will help remove animal hair and dander.
If you're still miserable after trying over the counter meds, see your primary care physician as there are some additional meds that may give you better results (ie Singulair, or a nasal spray, etc.)
If you (or someone in the household) have reactive airway disease/ asthma, and the dog is provoking wheezing, you really need to see your PCP ASAP as you may need an inhaler.
Hope you get your symptoms under control soon....I know it sucks!.
The Following User Says Thank You to danemommd For This Useful Post:
mistified247 (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Gibson'sMom
Has no status.
Very committed

My Mood: Relaxed

My husband is allergic to dogs. He use to get the red bumps & rash after petting the dog. Now he takes Zyrtec & is getting weekly desensitizing injections. He rarely breaks out now. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
sdtaco
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Wow, Thanks for all the responses. When I did my original search only dog allergies came up and no results about human allergies.

We are trying to clean more to keep the hair and dander down. Odd that is just started happening and not right when we got Kona.

We will try and post pics so it can be documented...
Reply With Quote top