DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Training and behavior Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM
ceciley13
Has no status.

Default Anyone heard of a "Thunder-vest"??

I know I have talked about my older dog Midas and his fear issues. My trainer and I are working with him. But sometimes in the middle of a training session something will scare him. And that is it. Once he is scared he shuts down compleatly. To the point that he isn't even interested in treats (and he is a TOTAL food driven dog). Today, we don't even know what scared him. Neither of us could pin-point the trigger, but we both saw him shut down. My trainer suggested a "thunder-vest". I googled it... IDK it seems kinda silly. But I am willing to do ANYTHING to make my Midas-man more confident. Anyone used one? Anyone had sucsess with one??
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by ceciley13
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
NDR- A good recall Topics Specific To Breeds Other Than Danes Forum Moxie'sMom 5 493 07-23-2012 02:34 PM
Confide's video debut Topics Specific To Breeds Other Than Danes Forum Quinn 4 455 07-07-2012 07:14 PM
MORE Luna bragging Training and behavior Forum curlytoprn 2 293 06-25-2012 07:17 AM

Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Greenmagick
has the biggest acorns!
It Works? ok, WHY?

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Cynical
Send a message via Yahoo to Greenmagick

I have not personally, but know people who have...and it does work. Tellington touch also uses similar principles in wrapping for fearful dogs.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Jazzandcompany
Be the wag in their tail
Executive Member

My Mood: Stressed

Jazz was very successfull with her thundershirt! It was the only way to get into the pet stores without a very unhappy dog! With the thundershirt on she was amazing, and even played in the store. This is also how she got over (90%) her fear of men/strangers. She is much more confident when wearing it and would walk up to them to get pet or treats. I had weaned her out of it. I am starting it back up again due to some other circumstances. If you search the archives I have a thread on thunder shirt. I think I also have a coupon for 10% off if you need it

Emily
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzandcompany For This Useful Post:
ceciley13 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
GoingPostal
Has no status.

My Mood: Cheerful

Try just a tight t shirt, might help and won't cost you much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 AM
audreys
639-850 muscles and everyone hurts

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Pensive

I use a thunder shirt on Apollo. I thought it was silly too, but it does seem to help somewhat with his fear of thunder. He is still scared but he doesn't tremble with it on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 AM
ceciley13
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
Jazz was very successfull with her thundershirt! It was the only way to get into the pet stores without a very unhappy dog! With the thundershirt on she was amazing, and even played in the store. This is also how she got over (90%) her fear of men/strangers. She is much more confident when wearing it and would walk up to them to get pet or treats. I had weaned her out of it. I am starting it back up again due to some other circumstances. If you search the archives I have a thread on thunder shirt. I think I also have a coupon for 10% off if you need it

Emily

I am sorry, I didin't think to look back and see if another thread had been started on this. It was very informative.

I think I will at leaste give it a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM
MillyVanilly
Has no status.
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Lurking

I haven't personally used one with Milly, but a friend of ours(another Dane owner) has and swears by it. Milly seems to be over her fear stage, but if it should come up again I will try one out. I feel for you...I remember thinking I had the biggest "scaredy" on the block. Every tall person, every motorcyclist that passed our car, and every statue set her off. She would act skittish, jump back and bark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Moxie'sMom
is watching Moxie sleep again!
Moxie's Mom

My Mood: Blah

The theories behind the thunder vest are based on the calming affects of deep pressure. As a COTA and a therapeutic riding instructor I use these theories in my work every day. The theory is sound. A similar item is on the market for children with Autism called a Bear Hug or something like that. I used one at one of my clinical affiliations with good success. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
13frajja
broken hearted
I bought Paul a beer!

The local new in Cleveland doing a thing on the Thunder-vest tonight. Here is a link to the station website..

www.woio.com

Ok i cannot get the link working but this is their site...

Just think it is funny that they are doing this ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM
CalicoJenn
Has no status.

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Inspired

We put a tight shirt on leeloo every time we know a storm is coming, I thought it was crazy at first but it works amazingly. I have gotten a few family members doing the same with their dogs and they have had the same great results. I wouldn't pay for anything fancy, a snug human shirt has worked fine for us. I believe i read some where it has to do with the static charge in the air during a storm, but i cannot confirm that.
Reply With Quote top