DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Keeps
loves this forum!

My Mood: Angelic
Default Dachshund and Great Danes?

There are a few members here that have both dachshunds and danes, right? What made you decide to get the two extremes? I think dachshund are adorable and, although I prefer big dogs, can see myself getting one at some point.

So, on average, how do the two types of dogs get along? Cooper is just so big that I would be a little afraid a small dog would get hurt. Are dachshunds playful?

If you have a different kind of small dog, please reply as well! I'm just wondering if a mix of having big and little dogs works.

Thanks!

3 Latest Threads by Keeps
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Swollen face and bumps Health And Welfare Forum Meatos 12 947 09-11-2011 05:02 PM
costco dog food Diet (Kibble only) Forum wrx600rr 38 3168 08-28-2011 12:06 PM
Was he resource guarding? Training and behavior Forum Keeps 3 456 06-09-2011 07:12 PM

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Zagari
misses her Kaiser Weiser. :(

I don't have big and little dogs... rather big and medium sized dogs. However, my aunt/neighbor has several dogs or varying sizes. Pit bulls, Lab mix, terrier mix, and chihuahua. They all come over a lot and Kaiser (my dane) is awesome with the little chi. The chi however has an issue with Kaiser.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
HarlequinHorror
Counting down the days till puppy!

My Mood: Cheerful
+++ My dogs +++

We have three small (2 cavaliers and a terrier) and Harley our GD. Not gonna lie they don't really get along great, well the three small ones are 7,8 and 11 and they don't want to play with Harley(19 months), they either tolerate or grumble at her most of the time. The youngest cav will sometime sit with her when shes quiet and give her a groom but thats about the height of affection! The cat pays more attention to Harley LOL! It might be different with ones of similar age, I dunno. We keep harley seperate from them when we're not at home cos she bugs them haha.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Charlene
missing my sweet ashley girl
Very committed

My Mood: Fine

i don't have them any more but ashley lived with 2 corgis for a couple of years. not only did they get along, she and simon were inseparable.

we still miss our little buddy!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Keeps
loves this forum!
Threadstarter

My Mood: Angelic

Aww thanks for posting those pictures! Too cute!

HarlequinHorror- yeah, I figured I would want to get around Cooper's age. He's only one year old, and although I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, I was looking at a rescue site and they're all 8+ years old.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Brindle baby
Has a status.

We have Danes and one Toy Fox Terrier--he is the youngest at 1 year, my danes are 4 and 1 1/2 years. They all get along great. If you don't know what a TFT is they are very small dogs. 10 inches tall and about 7 pounds. I have to say my danes are well socialized (show dogs) and well trained so it wasn't ever really a concern getting the little guy.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Scott Y
- Just living the dream!
Willing Listener

My Mood: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Scott Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeps View Post
There are a few members here that have both dachshunds and danes, right? What made you decide to get the two extremes? I think dachshund are adorable and, although I prefer big dogs, can see myself getting one at some point.

So, on average, how do the two types of dogs get along? Cooper is just so big that I would be a little afraid a small dog would get hurt. Are dachshunds playful?

If you have a different kind of small dog, please reply as well! I'm just wondering if a mix of having big and little dogs works.

Thanks!
We have both and yes, they get along great. They play and have their moments like any other mix might have. Why the extremes........ Louann wanted a Dachshund and I said "No!" Guess who won?!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
MillyVanilly
Has no status.
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Lurking

I would not recommend giant breeds with toy breeds...Just the logistics of it...Accidents can happen, even with the sweetest of giants.
It can be done, but extra safety precautions will be needed...ie-separate yard time, keeping extra close eyes on them together.
Toys are what I refer to as "one bite" dogs...Litrerallty all it takes. My friend had a chihuahua and a dane and they got along great...were best of buds. One day she was not watching them close enough, and the chi brought a tug toy up to the dane..The dane grabbed "his end", gave it a few quick shakes and the chi's neck was snapped in the process. Things happen. If I were ever to get a smaller breed of dog then a Dane, it would be something a bit more "sturdy"....Of course I do love the movie, "The Ugly Dachshund"...very cute.
My old boss from one of my college jobs, had 11 wiener dogs!!!!
All untrained, and un-socialized...Walking in his house was like attack of the hot dogs!...a beautiful million dollar lake home that smelt like pee &.
Him and his wife were a bit "off" as we all used to joke.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
Milly-Harl GD,
Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Jazzandcompany
Be the wag in their tail
Executive Member

My Mood: Sleepy

I have Preston who will soon be 6 (yorkie and maltese mix) and Jazz. Preston has always been my "grumpy old man" he was well socialized, just with other smaller dogs. He loved to play and chase with them, never a problem.

Preston had ever had a large dog in "his" home, only small dogs, when my sister lived with me. It wasn't immediatly a problem (well one that I immedicatly recognized ) When I broght Jazz home preston would climb on the couch/chairs etc. to look at her face to face--- now I realize not a good sign. He no longer can get as high as she is and it causes issues.

I have to watch them like a hawk because Preston is the evil one. He pushes boundries and is quite grumpy. His rules do not carry over from day to day. I knew today would be bad, first thing he did was charge jazz when I let him out of his crate and his has been quite barky. Sure enough, 10 minutes ago he lunged at Jazz and I had to yell for him to return to his crate to cool off before Jazz decides she has had enough or decides to play a little to rough.

I love both of my dogs dearly. Presto is also a rescue. I grew up with shepards so I was used to big dogs but for soem reason I decided a small dog would be easier while I was moving. If I did it over again, I would stick with the big dogs. I don't think that extreme of a difference mixes well one playful pounce and we are at the e-vet (been there for just that!)

Em
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Tiffany
Has no status.

I grew up with Dachshunds. We never had one together with a Dane though. But my neighbors have 2 Mini Dachshunds who like to aggravate and get my dogs riled up.

Jasmine plays really well with smaller dogs and prefers them in most cases as she is scared of dogs her size until she gets to know them. Her best buddy is Circe a Rat Terrier.

I had a toy Manchester Terrier and 2 Italian Greyhounds years ago. The IGs were fine with the big dogs right up to their deaths from cancer and kidney failure. Ran, played, and was fine. The Manchester never learned to avoid the big ones and one day they hit him and paralyzed him. With steriods and crate rest I do believe he regained most of his abilities, but the vets office kept him and adopted him out since they didn't want to put him down like I requested. So that has always made me wary of small/big ones together. I think sturdier small dogs like JRTs, bigger Ratties like Circe (22lbs), standard Dachshunds, Corgis, etc. are better choice especially if you have an active large/giant dog. But again it does totally depend on the dogs. Gracie and Rikki the IGs were only around 10-12lbs and fine boned, but they were quick and agile and smart enough to avoid the big ones while running side by side.
Reply With Quote top